Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp (7/31)

Starting Point (ft) Ending Point (ft) Elevation Gain (ft) Hiking Time
Karanga Camp (13,500) Barafu Camp (15,260) 1,760 3 1/2 hours


Clothing Worn Stuff in Backpack 
Patagonia Capilene LW Long Crew Gortex jacket and pants
Mountain Hardware Wicked T 3 Nalgene 1 liter bottles
Ex Officio Explorer  long pants Camera, GPS, and first aid supplies
Hat Patagonia R2 fleece jacket
  Light fleece jacket
  Patagonia Capilene LW bottoms
  Lunch box

Another good nights sleep. It was really windy last night. I put on my long underwear  top and bottoms before I climbed into my sleeping bag. I also wore my ear plugs and hat. I didn't hear anything after that. Around midnight I needed to pee and my pee bottle was full. So I hustled outside, dumped my bottle, took care of my pressing matter and climbed back into my bag.

I woke up around 7 am and had to go to the bathroom real bad. I quickly got dressed and raced to the outhouse. Our portable outhouse was knocked over by the wind. I made a bee line for a permanent  outhouse. I had to move fast. Someone else was closing in on my potty. Good news, I beat them and set a new high altitude poop record! 

We had tea, packed, and ate breakfast. We were one the trail by 9:30 am. It was slow going today. The air is getting mighty thin. I felt much better today. My energy returned.

Today we hiked in the high alpine zone. There  were immense piles of slate everywhere.  

According to my altimeter we climbed a total of 2,070 feet. Camp is at 15,260 feet. We made it to camp around 1:00 pm. We unpacked and Jamie and I went looking for a geocahce near  our campsite. The cache is called "Above the Clouds". I go by the name Mothra. You can see my entry in the log.  I had concerns if I would find this one.  No one had any luck finding it based on the logs. Jamie eventually found it. It was a Nalgene bottle with a note and 2 travel bugs inside. It turns out another person put this bottle here because they could not find the original cache.  I took both travel bugs. One was just a bug tag on a chain. I didn't realize they were two bugs until I got home. The bugs are: "PeaceKids Tag 1" and "Mt Kili Bug". I will take them back to the US and find a good home for them. It took some energy crawling around the rocks at this altitude. 

Jamie and I headed back to the mess tent for tea time. Well hot water and popcorn. We ran out of tea. Everyone was interested to hear about the cache and what we found. Maybe I got a few other people interested in geocaching. I spent some time explaining geocaching to our assistant guide Fungi. 

After tea, I headed back to the tent to organize my gear for summit day tomorrow. We get up at midnight and hit the trail at 1:00 am. 

As we were unpacking several people were still coming down the mountain from the summit. The looked like hell. One group had vacant stares and were dragging their feet and poles behind them. Two other women were being held up by porters and looked totally out of it. Yikes!! Once again, taking it slow and having a good acclimatization schedule is so important.

We had dinner at 5:00 pm and were in bed by 6:00 pm

Side Note: As I have been building these web pages, I noticed I have a disproportionate amount of photos of Mike and Ryan. This is because I generally kept pace with them at the back of the pack. I figured Mike has done some serious mountains and he knows how to pace himself to reach the top. No one cares who made it up first, only if you made it up.


Ryan, Shawn, and Mike

Up the trail we go

Ryan and Allen

Jason motoring

Cool pile of slate

Jamie in the slate fields

Allen and Roy

Outhouse with a view

Barafu camp site

Inside our tent

Tea time

Tea time part 2

Travel bugs we found

The path that led to camp

Camp shots

Green huts

Trail to summit